Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blog Block

For those few who do look forward to my Blogs, I am sad to report that the muse has not stirred me of late.  So, this will be a kind of "Stay Tuned for More" blog.  While there has been a bit of a lull (financially, mentally, and there's nothing like a good hot spell to make you turn into a couch potato) there are things in the works!  My calendar is filling up with all kinds of cool things that I'm sure will be fodder for my Blogging future.

First, I have to give a tip of the hat to my generous benefactor, Craig Johnson, from the Worthington Acres Alpaca Farm and to PayPal (the only credit I have left--I hope) for making this gal's dreams come to fruition!  Craig sold me his used Babes Fiber spinning wheel at a significant discount so I am now the proud owner of my very own spinning wheel.  It's not a fancy wheel, but as long as I can spin on it, I am thrilled!  It's a light-weight portable wheel, so I can easily take it with me on my new adventures in spinning.

Next weekend, I'll being taking it to Stockton, NJ for my very first "Sit n' Spin".   I've never done anything like this in my life before, so it should be quite the experience.  Basically it's a bring your own lunch & libation, free event that you can bring your spinning and knitting too and hang out with all the others to learn and have fun.  I'm nervous but excited.  Anybody who knows me knows I'm not real big on crowds and especially crowds of unknown people!  Hopefully the love of all things fiber will be the bonding glue for me.

The Friday after that I'm going to my good friend, Andzia's, Amber Shop to see her "Jewels of Verve Vertu" open house and exhibit.  I'm really looking forward to that.   This is an exhibit of works of art in the form of batiks, felt purses, wall hangings and I can't wait to see what other surprises.  Andzia tells me I can expect to be wowed by the beauty.  This event is compliments of the art studio of The Deutsch Institute who helps special needs people and people with disabilities do something I'm fond of . . . embrace their dreams through creativity!

That Saturday, I will be attending my first "Knit In" that has recently been formed as a monthly meeting group right here in River City (Wilkes-Barre) at our wonderful Osterhaut Library.  I found out about that through my online group that I love, Ravelry.   Finally, something fiber related that isn't two hours or more away!

The rest of August looks to be uneventful.  But come September I'll be busy as ever.  The weekend of September 11th & 12th is the big Fiber Festival at the Harford fairgrounds.  Hopefully I'll be able to make that trip.  A second "Knit In" at the Osterhaut takes place the following Saturday.   The weekend after that I'm going to grit my teeth and aim the old rust bucket toward Cleveland, Ohio to visit my sister and attend "National Alpaca Farm Days" to be held at the MetroParks there.  The two of us loose around alpacas and yarn . . . it could be dangerous.  Either one of us may come home with a "new pet".   The following Monday begins everyone's favorite Pennsylvania fair . . . The Bloomsburg Fair!  And as a new member of the Susquehanna Valley Spinners and Weaver's Guild, I have the opportunity to participate in the Spinning Clatch and educational exhibit there.  I will be scouring the Thrift stores to find something vaguely Colonial looking to wear so I keep with the theme.  Yes, Laurel Ingalls, I'm channeling you!  Oh, that should be a hoot.  When was the last time I wore a dress?  I can assure you, there will be bloomers of some sort underneath.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I should have a very eventful and fun couple of months.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment