Saturday, April 17, 2010

Seeds of Imagination . . .

I was wondering all week what I could possibly blog about this weekend. Last night I got my answer as I finished up a project for a friend in England who wanted me to crochet a cat for her friend in Canada.  My other recent project was inspired by my niece’s love of owl’s and my fondness for making small purses. So there it was . . . the Owl and the Pussycat!  How cool, I thought, that my latest projects should evoke fond memories of childhood poems.   My mother loved to read and she also had the ability (amongst her many other talents) to read to my sister and me in a way that was magical. She had the ability to read words as if they were music and breathe life into them so that they played themselves out in our imagination--better than any movie adaptation! I consider myself extremely lucky to have had such a mother and such a childhood. My childhood did not include fuzzy blue or red monsters or big yellow birds. Instead it had the rich imagery of the Owl and the Pussycat, Winnie-the-Pooh (not the Disney version, but the real one), the Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat, and so many other beautifully penned children’s poems and books. Sadly, my mother passed away at an early age. But what she gave us was a legacy of imagination. She planted the seeds of creativity that still live on in me and in my very talented family members. What I lack in talent is buoyed by imagination and silliness. That’s what keeps it fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment